The two full-length records that Jeff Mangum made as
Neutral Milk Hotel
both in and out of time. Like translations of a shared subconscious, 1996’s
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
give voice to the perennial spirit of
youthful epiphany, of beginning to see the world clearly, to process and express it—
no matter when you encounter them. With lo-fi indie rock, accordion, singing saw,
tape collages, the so-called 'zanzithophone' and beyond, Neutral Milk Hotel created
an eternal entry into their Elephant 6 scene and an enduring feeling of possibility.
Mangum was born in the small city of Ruston, Louisiana, coming of age within the
’80s and ’90s indie and punk undergrounds, a movement of teenagers recording in
their bedrooms, sharing zines and trading tapes, listening to hardcore and
experimental music on college radio. For all the mythology Mangum’s elusive
persona has accrued, it’s the beguiling songs themselves that have resonated so
deeply for generations. In 2011, Mangum collected nearly all of the band’s recorded
output in a limited-edition box set (self-released under Neutral Milk Hotel Records,
a small operation helmed by Mangum and his mother) which is now being updated
for wide reissue by the band’s longtime label Merge Records
All jackets are printed on enhanced cardboard stock for more vibrant, consistent color. In addition, the depth of the outer box has been increased to accommodate the extra contents and the interior fitments redesigned for added strength.
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea LP
* Housed in a deluxe gatefold jacket.
On Avery Island 2-LP
* Expanded to include the full-length version of "Pree-Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye." Housed in a deluxe gatefold jacket (this version is now the standard edition available outside of the box set).
Live at Jittery Joe's 12-inch picture disc
* Recorded in Athens in 1997, with new artwork. The first inclusion of this performance in the box set.
* Exclusive full-colour picture disc packaged in a deluxe clear sleeve.
Ferris Wheel on Fire 10-inch EP
* Eight acoustic recordings unavailable elsewhere. Black vinyl housed in a cardboard jacket.
Everything Is 10-inch EP
* The four songs from the original EP plus three additional songs. Black vinyl housed in a cardboard jacket.
Holland, 1945 / Engine 7-inch
* Contains an exclusive recording of "Engine" and all-new artwork. Black vinyl in a cardboard jacket housed in a plastic outer sleeve.
Little Birds 7-inch
* Previously unreleased 2014 live recording of "Little Birds" in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, featuring Jeremy Barnes & Heather Trost of A Hawk and a Hacksaw, plus a studio demo recording of "Little Birds." Black vinyl in a cardboard jacket housed in a plastic outer sleeve.
You've Passed / Where You'll Find Me Now 7-inch
* Two 4-track recordings of these songs. Black frame added to front cover art to be consistent with the other two 7-inches. Black vinyl in a cardboard jacket housed in a plastic outer sleeve.
24" 24" poster featuring outer box cover art.
24" 24" poster featuring flying gramophone art.