Hoyt Axton was a larger than life figure who possessed a bold and emotive voice, Yet today he is perhaps best known as the writer of such great songs as Greenback Dollar (The Kingston Trio), The Pusher (Steppenwolf) and Joy To The World (Three Dog Night), What is most surprising is that he isn't better known for his own recordings as they give a unique, impassioned testament to the man and the times he lived in.
Amongst the best of those undoubtedly would be My Griffin Is Gone, his 1969 psyche-folk opus, Running the gamut from pastoral musings like Way Before The Time Of Towns to harrowing anti-war ruminations (Beelzebub's Laughter) and moving meditations on drug abuse (Snowblind Friend) the album was written and recorded during a time of personal hardship and LSD experimentation.
This newly expanded edition of My Griffin Is Gone features four mind-blowing tracks only available on 45 before and eight astounding previously unreleased tracks!
Remastered 2008 from the original Columbia master tapes with exclusive notes and rare photos, Hoyt Axton was a lion of a man and this was his greatest roar!
* Psyche-folk classic! With 8 unreleased tracks!!
* Remastered 2008 from the original master tapes!
* Deluxe packaging, 20 page full colour booklet with exclusive notes, rare photos etc.
* First release on CD for 12 astounding tracks!
* 24 track CD! All original recordings! Many rare 45 and acoustic tracks.